Here’s some random Wolverine trivia I’ve picked up from various sources….
- The part of Wolverine was originally offerd to Joaquin Phoenix but he turned it down. Thank God! As much as I love Phoenix (before he became an *ahem* rap artist) that would never have worked.
- Three Mile Island, the site of Stryker’s base in the film, exists, and suffered a partial core meltdown in 1979. In the film, Gambit remarks on how no-one wants to get too close to a nuclear reactor, so the goings on at the base are kept secret. The destruction of the cooling towers by the Wolverine/Weapon XI showdown is a nod to the meltdown, implying that the government used it as a cover story.
- When Logan rescues the prisoners form the base, the party includes Toad, who reappears in X1. Also incarcerated is Quicksilver-Magneto’s super-speedy son. He’s the white haired mutant tied up in what looks like bungee ropes and trying to escape by running at the bars.
- Dominic Monaghan was originally cast in the role of Beak, but the part was changed to Bolt during filming. This is probably due in no small part to the fact that Beak’s only ability is turning into a grotesque (and painful) half-bird half-man mess!
- On the back window of the truck belonging to the nice old couple who rescue Logan is a sticker saying “Not all those who wander are lost.” This is a line from Tolkein’s ranger poem:
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring,
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.”
I have more, but I reckon I’ve probably written too much about Wolverine on here now. I’m off to see Star Trek on Wednesday…